These individual Easter basket cupcakes are a wonderful visual treat for a classroom or a party. Be imaginative when filling these “baskets” with goodies and use personal favorites to finish off the cupcakes. Kids love to help make these little cakes because they are such fun to decorate. This recipe features moist homemade butter cupcakes and a simple buttercream frosting that is easy to spread.
Easy Recipe to Make Easter Basket Cupcakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour ?
- 1 1/2 cups sugar ?
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder ?
- 1 tsp salt ?
- 3/4 cup butter (1-1/2 sticks), softened?
- 3/4 cup whole milk ?
- 2 tsp vanilla extract ?
- 3 large eggs
(makes about 24 cupcakes)
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 1 stick butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (clear if you want a very white icing)
- 4 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 4 tablespoons milk
(makes about 3 cups)
- Shredded coconut
- Green food coloring
- Jelly beans
- Foil covered chocolate eggs
- Other Easter candies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin/cupcake pan with pastel colored liners.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt until combined. Use the whisk attachment at low speed for 1 – 2 minutes to get the most rise out of your cupcakes.
- Add the butter, milk, vanilla and eggs, and beat just until blended by using the regular blending attachment at medium speed.
- Increase the speed to high and beat the mixture for about 2 minutes or until very creamy and fully blended. Scrape the bowl occasionally with a spatula.
- Spoon the batter into the liners and bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until the cupcakes are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from their pan immediately and allow them to cool completely.
- Make the frosting by creaming the butter and shortening until well blended and then adding the vanilla. Add sugar gradually, one cup at a time and continue to beat on medium speed until fully mixed. The frosting will seems stiff at this point. Add the milk and beat at medium speed until fluffy and light. Cover the container with a damp towel until ready to use.
Frost the cupcakes. Blend coconut with green food coloring until it looks like grass. Mound some grass on the cupcake. Use the thin licorice strips folded into a U-shape as the handle for each basket and add a few candies on top of the coconut grass. Feel free to experiment with different colored grasses and Easter candies.